Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy..

So I saw a copy of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy today in class, and well might have gone into embarrassing raptures. See the person in whose possession the book was, wasn’t as excited about the book as I was getting and well the pitch in my voice was rising, sadly it wasn’t as well taken by the other party…..
Why I get so excited about it is because its one of my favourite books in the whole world. Its my guide to life sort of, everytime I am pissed, down in the dumps, bored, need inspiration I read bits of the book and without fail it makes me cry with laughter. And somehow, something I read, few lines, a passage, anything will jump at me and make me feel alright about life.

Lets try, I’ve been wondering of late exactly where my life is going, I am halfway through my education, at an important age and stage in life, however I feel somehow I am losing all the theads of control and its disconcerting to say the least.
What did I come across that appealed to me when I grabbed the book of that fellows hand:
“Ford”, he said suddenly, “look, if that Question is printed in my brain wave patterns but I am not consciously aware of it must be somewhere in unconscious.”
“Yes, I suppose so.”
“There might be a way of bringing that unconscious pattern forward.”
“Oh, Yes?”
“Yes, by introducing some random element that can be shaped by that pattern.”

Its not the funniest line or the one that is most profound. But it hit me and all felt solvable. For people who have read the book they know what the Question embedded in his brain was. Its my towel, its my comfort book. Have I said already I love it. Its one of those books that I like keep going back to. The language, the way sentences are framed, the way he writes, what he writes, I can go on all day. I get embarrassingly sugary and sickening. I’ll end the gush here.

To Douglas Adams, Cheers! And Sir, I love you.

Another event today, this really successful person in my field came and delivered a lecture on this really technical and specific area. It was awesome, nice to hear normal English being spoken, it was comforting to be witness to effective communication. But somewhere whatever he was saying felt like another language altogether, sps, fta, chapeau, I sure would have loved a Babel Fish in my ear. ;)

You, sir, thank you for coming and making me aware of a whole new field out there. I have to say, though, that you caused a major rant spree yesterday. What if when I pass out and finally get around to being around people who speak like you, I have lost all command over the language and say stupid things like, “yeah I heard you wish from the Backside”, instead of ‘Behind’.

The perpetual struggle of changing with the times without losing who you are. If you only figure out who you are as you grow older, should you really feel afraid of becoming somebody else. I possibly am still the only 20…gosh! 21 year old who has teenage issues. Divine intervention anytime is always welcome. I am waving my towel around, any ship wish to pick me up?

1 comment:

Samster said...

i Love adams.. he is completely Brilliant.. in fact i ended up purchasing 'chaos' because of his recommendation... not the smartest thing to do but well thats life.

also.. i saw your comment on my blog and you mentioned my name and for the longest time i thought you were person A but it turns out person A has a different blog..
so as politely as i can...
who art thou? :)